News center
Deep expertise in sales and manufacturing strategies

Beach warning after dog dies of eating suspected palm oil

Nov 10, 2023

The warning comes after a three-year-old dog died at Newgale beach

Keep up to date with the latest stories with our WalesOnline newsletter

We have more newsletters

A three-year-old dog has died after eating what's thought to be palm oil on a Welsh beach. Pembrokeshire Council has issued a warning to dog owners visiting the county after the pet ate what's thought to be a dark coloured palm oil berg last week.

The council said it received reports of the sad incident on Newgale beach on June 8. Palm oil is often seen in dark, yellowish or white waxy blocks. It is not harmful to humans but can be fatal to pets.

The council said: "People visiting the Pembrokeshire coastline are being asked to be vigilant to the potential of palm oil washing ashore. It follows the death of a three year-old dog that is believed to have eaten palm oil at Newgale beach.

"The report was received yesterday (Thursday 8th June) with the dog understood to have eaten a dark coloured palm oil berg last week."

It advised beach users to keep dogs on leads and away from the substance.

Anyone who sees what might be palm oil should contact the council by email at [email protected] and report the sighting.